Re: more netatalk pain; encrypted passwords (solved)

Subject: Re: more netatalk pain; encrypted passwords (solved)
From: Nathaniel Irons (beppo@bumppo.net)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 13:41:10 MDT

On 10/11/00 at 8:08 PM, rgp@systame.com (rgp systems) wrote:

> THere is a 1.4.99 src rpm at sourceforge. I installed this
> successfully but still haven't figured out encryption. The best
> encryption method to use is DHX (which requires openssl to be
> installed). OS 8.5 and above are _supposed_ to be able to use DHX,
> but I haven't got it working yet.

I built and installed openssl 4.0.1 with no problems, and built the
ppc.rpm from the src.rpm. It picked up SSL, but after installation DHX
didn't work, even after I caught the stupid uams directory symlink
glitch mentioned in the sourceforge help forums [1].

At afpd startup, syslog was reporting

    Oct 14 19:35:21 myserver afpd[431]: uam_load(uams_dhx.so): failed to
    load: /etc/atalk/uams/uams_dhx.so: undefined symbol: __udivdi3

This is now fixed, after a great deal of help from Paul Schinder. I ran
'rpm --recompile' on the src rpm to get a netatalk source directory in
/usr/src/rpms/BUILD/, and then modified netatalk/etc/uams/Makefile,
adding

    -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/ppc-yellowdog-linux/2.95.2/ -lgcc

to the end of the line starting with "LIBS". (use "locate libgcc.a" to
find the exact path on your system, stripping off everything after the
final slash.)

After the modification I ran make in the uams directory and replaced the
old uams_dhx_pam.so in /etc/atalk/uams with the new one, whereupon DHX
finally worked.

  -nat

[1] create uams_clrtxt.so pointing to uams_pam.so
    create uams_dhx.so pointing to uams_dhx_pam.so