Re: ATI Rage 128 Pro acceleration

Subject: Re: ATI Rage 128 Pro acceleration
From: philippe tapon (ptapon@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 04:10:41 MDT

> I have a 17in apple studio display and a g4 agp with an ATI rage 128pro.
> The kernel I'm running is 2.2.15pre19-ben1. I do not use "no video" in my
> yaboot.conf. If i do then the kernel does not even boot.
> I run the monitor at 1024x768x24. No idea what Hz though All seems fine.
> How do i know if the acceleration is working at all?
>
> Darren
> GU14 0LX

Have I got this right? I thought that you need, to run an ATi rage pro, X
4.01, as the driver in 3.3.8 or whatever it is doesn't take advantage of the
acceleration, and the 2.2.17+ kernel.
        I suppose without a concrete benchmark you have to judge for yourself
whether the windows are scrolling faster or not. I used to run the iMac
without acceleration (the ATi drivers were screwy) and it was fairly obvious, I
thought.

peace

philippe