Problems with ./configure (newbie question)

Subject: Problems with ./configure (newbie question)
From: matthew (matthewvz@home.com)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 05:38:47 MDT

Hello all I am very new to linux.

I downloaded kmail, ran "tar -xvzf", cd into the kmail sub directory, and ran
./configure I get the following
error.

configure: error: your system fails at linking a small KDE application!
Check, if your compiler is installed correctly and if you have used the same
compiler to compile Qt and kdelibs as
you did use now.

I am running YDL on a Umax s900 with a g3 upgrade booting off of the vmlinux
kernel.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? How I can fix it? If I have not
given enough information let me know what
else is needed to trouble shoot this problem.

Thanks
Matthew