Re: ATI Rage 128 Pro acceleration

Subject: Re: ATI Rage 128 Pro acceleration
From: Darren Graham (dfgraham@scs.dera.gov.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 06:01:37 MDT

-

Well the windows do seems to scroll fast to me. The Apple system profiler
tells me that i have a pro card. (the g4 was bought in dec99 if that make
any difference). I'm running the version of X that comes with CS1.2.

Darren

At 03:10 19/10/00 -0700, you wrote:

> > I have a 17in apple studio display and a g4 agp with an ATI rage 128pro.
> > The kernel I'm running is 2.2.15pre19-ben1. I do not use "no video" in my
> > yaboot.conf. If i do then the kernel does not even boot.
> > I run the monitor at 1024x768x24. No idea what Hz though All seems fine.
> > How do i know if the acceleration is working at all?
> >
> > Darren
> > GU14 0LX
>
>Have I got this right? I thought that you need, to run an ATi rage pro, X
>4.01, as the driver in 3.3.8 or whatever it is doesn't take advantage of the
>acceleration, and the 2.2.17+ kernel.
> I suppose without a concrete benchmark you have to judge for yourself
>whether the windows are scrolling faster or not. I used to run the iMac
>without acceleration (the ATi drivers were screwy) and it was fairly
>obvious, I
>thought.
>
>peace
>
>philippe

The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.
"We seek not the answers but to better understand
the question"
- Kane, Kung Fu
Darren Graham
Scientist Tel +44 (0) 1252 392819
Space Department Fax +44 (0) 1252 396310
DERA Farnborough
Hampshire email:
United Kingdom dfgraham@scs.dera.gov.uk
GU14 0LX