Re: PCI ethernet on card in 7600

Subject: Re: PCI ethernet on card in 7600
From: Bryan Stillwell (bstill@terraplex.com)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 12:18:21 MDT

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 07:00:13PM -0700, Kjell Konis wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I just installed Yellow Dog last night on a recommendation from my local
>linux users group. So far everything works except for a PCI ethernet
>card. I looked in /lib/modules/2.2..../net but there don't appear to be
>any modules that could help me out. The card is a 10BT Asante and was
>recognized by MkLinux just fine. I checked the archives of this list but
>didn't find anything immediately useful (is there a way to search the
>archives?). Any suggestions?

I'm not completely sure about this one, but looking thru the kernel
source it appears the network card module you would need is daynaport.o,
which doesn't come precompiled in our kernels.

What you can do though is install the kernel-source rpm off the CD (if
it's not installed already) and go into the directory
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/. In there you will see daynaport.c and if
you run tail on it you will see that you can recompile it with the
command: "gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -m486 -c daynaport.c". After running that
command it should produce a daynaport.o file (though you probably will
have to change -m486 to -mppc or -mpowerpc or something close to that).
Copy it to /lib/modules/[whatever kernel version you have]/net/. Now
run `depmod -a` followed by running `modprobe daynaport`. To check to
see if it loaded correctly, run `lsmod` and you should see daynaport
listed there. Hopefully you can figure out the rest from there. :)

Bryan

--
  Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.           | Software Engineer
  http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/   | bstill@terraplex.com