Re: linux program in schools?

Subject: Re: linux program in schools?
From: dsbelile (dsbelile@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 13:45:41 MDT

Steve Moitozo wrote:

> Linux/Unix,
>
> Is the most reusable computer technology skill out their.
>
> As a CIO, I am always more interested in people who have linux/unix
> experience than NT. NT people are a dime a dozen and quite fankly do not
> usually meet my expectations.
>
> Steve Moitozo
>
> steven@moitozo.com
> http://www.moitozo.com
>
> "The Windows Assimilator"
>
> on 10/21/00 9:59 AM, john.newsom@bsd405.com at john.newsom@bsd405.com wrote:
>
> > I am trying to get a linux/unix administration program started in one of our
> > high schools. Our vocational education program director is unsure of the
> > need.
> > He has done some searching and found very few Linux jobs posted. One of his
> > contacts indicates that Linux represents only 1% of the IT/IS market.
> >
> > I saw a recent article on oreilly.com about how Linux/Unix market share is
> > greater than aggregate windows NT/2000.
> >
> > Am I chasing a chimera here, or are we just at the beginning of exponential
> > growth in the Linux/Unix marketplace. We currently have a Windows NT/2000
> > certification program and a CISCO certification program in our high schools.
> > am hoping to be able to offer our students some choices.
> >
> > John Newsom
> > Director of Instructional Technology
> > Bellevue School District, WA

WOW. thats how i got my job as network admin was because of the linux/unix
experience i have..... 6 people ( others ) interviewed were MCSE's and i took em
out because NT, is a system for usually low level admins and usually dont meet
the credentials needed for larger scale operations. the MCSE test is multiple
choice unlike the RHCE which is 80% hands on building/repairing servers and 20%
written. now the scary part is i have absolutely no degrees and am self taught
and took the position over certified MCSE's which spent all there hard earned
money to loose out on a great job. kinda sad, but if you want to be a no-minded
cow you can do that :) ( not meant to be a slam here :) )

the company i work for is a e-commerce company ( we develop our own
software,players / media ) which trains other e-commerce sites how to get bigger
and better.

now what i cant wait for is im doing a presentation at the local community
college for the CIS program coming up, and im going to tell them the truth......
this should be interesting.

just my 2 cents and for what its worth. thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

Christopher M Downs