Re: failed to exec modprobe -- serious trouble

Subject: Re: failed to exec modprobe -- serious trouble
From: Michael Messano (mmessano@gumption.com)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 17:54:51 MDT

At first thought, I would recommend a binary hunt if you want to save your
data, and spend some time trying things. This all depends on the fact that
you can get your normal filesystem mounted somewhere on an active system.
If you can boot into the YDL installer, you should be able to get a shell
with one of command-Fx, the x being 1-4, I believe, of the function keys.
F7 is the X-installer. If you get to the shell, you should be able to
access your filesystem and check some things. From what I see, some module
is not being found, or is not loading properly. I don't know if you are
aware, but the initscripts and other dependent packages are fairly low-level
without being actual kernel processes. I would recommend starting in
/etc/rc.d and examining the files and what they are calling for.

binfmt is usually a shared library for accessing and running
foreign-architecture binaries on your local hardware. i.e. x86 binary on a
DEC Alpha. It can also be built into the kernel. Did you upgrade your
kernel as well?

Michael