Re: YUP error

Subject: Re: YUP error
From: Bryan Stillwell (bstill@terraplex.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 13:37:42 MDT

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 01:09:15PM -0400, Robert Vogt IV wrote:
>> However being a former systems administrator myself, I would recommend
>> incorporating your changes to apache into the SRPM and recompiling it to
>> a binary RPM. It's really pretty easy once you learn the basics and
>> it'll save you the next time there's an updates to apache! For example
>> apache 1.3.14 came out recently and in your current setup it would
>> probably take you a bit of time to update, while with RPMs you can fix
>> your patch and the update will take care of everything else. Not to
>> mention that yup will work right away since it will find all of the
>> dependencies it needs. :)
> How would one do this? Can't I just tell it to leave Apache alone... :)
>(I spent several days getting this custom-compilation ready...)

I'll start you off on the basics, but I would recommend posting any
further questions about recompiling RPMs to the rpm mailing list (check
http://www.rpm.org/ for more info).

First off I believe it's a good idea to recompile SRPMs as a non-root
user. To do that you'll first have to create the directories you'll be
using to recompile the SRPMs by using these commands:

mkdir ~/rpm
cd ~/rpm
mkdir RPMS RPMS/ppc RPMS/noarch SRPMS BUILD SOURCES SPECS

Then you'll have to setup ~/.rpmmacros so that it knows to use those
directories. The easy way to do that is with this command:

echo "%_topdir /home/your_username/rpm" >~/.rpmmacros

Now install the SRPM for apache:

rpm -ivh apache-1.3.12-1.src.rpm

Afterwards you should be able to look in ~/rpm/SOURCES and ~/rpm/SPECS
and find what we would use to generate a regular RPM. All you have to
do then is add your modifications and rebuild a binary rpm:

rpm -bb ~/rpm/SPECS/apache.spec
(or if you're in ~/rpm/SPECS just do a `rpm -bb apache.spec`)

I don't know what kind of modifications you did, but if it's just
different options passed to configure then you would just need to modify
the .spec file. However if you patch the source you'll want to make a
unified diff and put it in the SOURCES directory and add the necesary
lines to the .spec file to use it. Just don't modify the
apache_1.3.12.tar.gz file and recompress it.

> Anyway - the new version still insists on installing Apache - what do I
>do?

Automatic update systems don't tend to work that well if you do any
force installs of packages. I'll try and see if I can come up with a
better way of doing things, or if you have any good ideas of how to get
around this problem feel free to send me an email about it. :)

Bryan

--
  Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.           | Software Engineer
  http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/   | bstill@terraplex.com