Re: Configuring server for internal network

Subject: Re: Configuring server for internal network
From: Darron Froese (darron@froese.org)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 14:08:17 MDT

on 10/23/00 1:37 PM, darren david at darren@extension11.com wrote:

> Are domain names essential for functionality on an internal network?
> What if I only ever want to refer to a machine by its IP address - is
> there any way to just turn reverse DNS lookup off?

They're probably not essential, but a lot of tcp/ip software will probably
assume that they can do it and you may have to wait for the dns resolver to
time out.

With ProFTPD, you can use "UseReverseDNS Off" to turn this behavior off -
with Sendmail, all you have to do is wait out the initial lookup (I think).

Either way, it's much more useful/correct to have domain names and they're
*really* cheap nowadays ($10-$15/year) - it's not that hard to set up.

--
Darron
darron@froese.org