Re: Configuring server for internal network

Subject: Re: Configuring server for internal network
From: Darron Froese (darron@froese.org)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 15:08:45 MDT

on 10/23/00 2:44 PM, darren david at darren@extension11.com wrote:

> I gotcha. But here's a serious networking newbie question for you -
> we've got a domain name registered, and currently we've got
> "wwww.domainname.com" pointing at an external server at some ISP. Can
> I add local machines on the same domain that aren't hosted by the
> same ISP?

Whoever does your domain hosting should be able to add records for you. You
*can* add a record to your domain records for your internal machines like a
normal record. Just don't expect them to work anywhere but in that
private/home network.

$ORIGIN domain.com
www IN A publicly.accessable.ip.address.for.web.server
desktop IN A privately.accessable.ip.address

That way, you could refer to your internal machines at home with a domain
name but nobody would be able to get to that IP address because it would be
a non-routable/private address.

NOTE: The only problem with this would be that people could figure out how
many machines and their domain names and try to get to them somehow. Not a
big deal but something to think about.

Another way to do it would be to get your dns hosting provider to delegate
"internal.domain.com" to a home dns server so that you would have full
control over all your internal domain names.

Then you could add the domain records yourself and restrict queries to that
subdomain to your home machines only. (That way, nobody else could find out
your internal private domain names and ip addresses.)

However, this still doesn't fix the reverse lookup problem - you still need
to have a PTR record for each IP address so that your reverse lookups don't
time out...

--
Darron
darron@froese.org