RE: Distribution Comparison

Subject: RE: Distribution Comparison
From: Pete Peters (ppeters@broadcastzone.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 18:40:06 MDT

Here's another vote for the big Yellow Dog. <g>

I installed LinuxPPC 1999 (it came on the CD w/ my PowerLogix card) w/ no
problems. However, LinuxPPC 2000 was a mess that never would install. IMO,
a major part of the problem was the gross inaccuracies in the documentation.
I also perceived, right or wrong, a "this is Linux--figure it out yourself"
attitude when I posted to the LinuxPPC list. This was disappointing as most
of what I read (and still do) on that list is usually excellent information
from some very knowledgable people.

I received several posts privately agreeing w/ my frustration and
recommending YDL. What a difference! Only a few issues installing it
(mostly due to my lack of knowledge), which were easily solved w/
documentation and the people on this list.

You didn't mention what model Mac you have. If it's an older NuBus type,
check out MkLinux <http://www.mklinux.org>. They're a great bunch of
people.

Anyway, that's my two-cents.

Pete