SCSI update and question

Subject: SCSI update and question
christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 14:36:52 MDT

Hey gang,

 A quick updater regarding ATTO SCSI cards. If you buy one, avoid the
Ultra3 card, it doesn't work with PPClinux yet. I managed to get rid of
most of mine and I bought 4 ATTO ExpressPCIProLVDs (Ultra2's) and they
work beautifully.

 If anyone knows of a kernel hacker who would be interested in coding the
driver for the ATTO Ultra3, please have them contact me. I kept one card
to lend to anyone who is willing to do this (after which I will sell the
card).

 Now for the question....

 Now that I have my SCSI card working, I tried to mount this really cool
RAID device I bought. From the advice from someone on this list I bought
a host-indendant RAID box from ProDirect. Now, this thing is supposed to
be host independant (just shows up as SCSI device via Ultra2 interface
-ie no special PCI card), and it does get detected by YDL. It doesn't come
up as a block device however, instead it shows up under /dev/sg1 (general
SCSI device). I can mount the thing in MacOS, but I don't have a clue on
how to do it in Linux. Does anyone out there have any experience with this
sort of thing? Any info/help would be *much* appreciated. TIA.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada