Re: SCSI RAID --answer--

Subject: Re: SCSI RAID --answer--
christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 19:06:32 MDT

 A minor miracle happened....

 I tried fdisk, pdisk, mke2fs... you name it, all on the /dev/sg1 and all
it would do is hang. Until, I did a funny thing and read the manual for
the RAID hardware. I read something about the SCSI card needing to be able
to scan multiple LUNs. It turns out the hardware controller was using LUN
0 and that it was assigning the RAID array to LUN 1. All I had to do was
reverse this, and boom, it was detected as a SCSI device at bootup
(/dev/sdb this time) and mke2fs worked no problem!

 Now, how I even thought to try that... that is the miracle. I have no
idea why I thought that would work (I still don't know what a LUN is), but
I'm happy to report that it does. I am now a proud owner of a 103GB RAID5
array attached to my G4 via an ATTO ExpressPCIProLVD SCSI card.

 Linux rocks, especially YellowDog!

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada