Off-Topic: DEC System 5500 and Ultrix

Subject: Off-Topic: DEC System 5500 and Ultrix
From: reid (resander@cs.hamilton.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 20:22:27 MDT

I have come across an old DEC System 5500 currently running Ultrix. It is going to be thrown out, well I couldn't see perfectly good hardware going to the dumpster, so I told them I would gladly take it off their hands. They agreed to just let me have it (for free!), now if I can just get it up to my third floor dorm room! Well anyway...

Does anyone have any ideas for this machine? Is there a Linux port to this MIPS based machine? I have seen that NetBSD is not yet available for it, but may be soon. I am considering Digital Unix! Now that would be fun! I also would like to get this machine on the campus network! Purely so I can have my CS profs see a machine called say Ultrix.hamilton.edu or maybe MIPS.hamilton.edu. Just something amusing!

And another thing... Yes, I am a dork! I am a CS major! I do find enjoyment in taking apart really old hardware and putting it back together! I also find enjoyment in getting really old hardware to function and do interesting things, things the people who gave it away never had in mind or didn't think was possible! I just thought I should explain my fascination with this old DEC System 5500 "Workhorse"!

Thanks,
        Reid Anderson
        resander@cs.hamilton.edu