Re: YDL is a no go......

Subject: Re: YDL is a no go......
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 01:47:22 MDT

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, W.D.McKinney wrote:

> >On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, W.D.McKinney wrote:
> >
> >> Many endeavors later, my nice new CD's of YDL are useless
> >> on this upgraded MAC 8500. Nice looking app to boot with,
> >> and all is well until I choose Linux and the screen goes black,
> >> then re-appears with some small tect concering hardware info
> >> and then....
> >>
> >> booting... but nothing beyond this no matter what the options
> >> selected. I prefer Linux to any any other OS and really wish I
> >> could get this one running. Do I need to pull all the upgraded
> >> hardware out to get this version of YDL to load ?
> >
> >Are you using the BootX extension? The application sometimes has trouble
> >taking over from the Mac OS...
> >
> >Which CD's are these, 1.2.1?
> >
> >-Hollis
>
> Yes BootX and yes it's CS-1.2.1.

I know you're using BootX. I asked if you were using the BootX *extension*
rather than the BootX *application*.

> I'm running Mac OS 9.0.4 on the original
> 1gig SCSI HD on this box.
>
> I have
>
> 4Gig SCSI Barracuda
> Orange Micro Grappler 906 SCSI PCI card
> Orange Micro FireWire+USB card
> ATI Rage Orion PCI video
> 190megs RAM
> USB Logitech mouse

If BootX (the extension) doesn't work, give it a shot with "no video"
checked. I'm a little suspicious of the video card part - the 8500 has
onboard video I think (the driver is controlfb)...

Also try plugging your monitor into the onboard video. If that works then
you can work on passing "video=aty128fb" arguments... (anyone want to
comment on Orion drivers?)

-Hollis