Re: YDL is a no go......

Subject: Re: YDL is a no go......
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 03:14:30 MDT

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Iain Stevenson wrote:

> I think the problem is that the newer (2.2.17) kernel does not, by default,
> list the daemons as they start up. The older kernels would put up a long
> list of information as programs were started. So you get absolutely no
> information after the "booting ...".

If this is the case with your machine then you have a problem. You should
definately be able to use the console. What video and machine do you have?

> Your screen may be remaining blank because X Windows isn't starting
> properly.

In YDL, X Windows is not launched at the end of the boot process by default.
This is easily changable, but I remain convinced that this is a very good
idea. Even experienced users can accidentally muck up their XF86Config and
can be left with an unusable system and a hard reboot.

-Hollis