can't dual boot CS 1.2.1 and Mac OS X beta on dual g4

Subject: can't dual boot CS 1.2.1 and Mac OS X beta on dual g4
From: Phill Zarfos (zarf@home.com)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 20:38:53 MDT

Help!

I have a dual G4 with 2 IDE drives. The slave has Mac OS X beta
on it, the master has YDL CS 1.2.1 on it.

When I turn the mac on, it shows the following:
 - folder with a question mark icon
 - folder with a mac-face icon
 - folder with a question mark icon, again
 - folder with a mac-face icon, again
 - happy mac
 - then boots Mac OS X beta.

The problem is it never boots linux.

Here's a bunch of things that didn't work...

I've poured over the web site and October's list messages
but can't find a similar problem. (I saw someone triple-
booting, but it appears you need Mac OS 9 to configure
yaboot.)

When I try to mount any of the master drive's partitions
under OS X, I get a "bad superblock" error. (not a suprise.)
(I was hoping to find yaboot.conf or lilo.conf or something.)

Mac OS X doesn't have the same "System Folder" like OS 9
(as near as I can tell) so I can't figure out where to
copy yaboot.conf, etc.

Mac OS X "Startup Disk" utility doesn't recognize the
master drive with CS 1.2.1 on it.

I've tried booting from the Open Firmware... I got to
the ">" prompt, but none of my "boot hd..." commands
worked.

I've tried booting while holding down the spacebar,
but it ignores that and just boots Mac OS X beta.

I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Phill Zarfos
zarf@home.com