Installed But Can't Boot YDL 1.2.1 on New iMac

Subject: Installed But Can't Boot YDL 1.2.1 on New iMac
From: Mark Rissman (markrissman@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 23:23:23 MDT

I have installed successfully, but cannot boot Linux.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Details:

I have successfully installed YDL 1.2.1 on a new iMac
with one hard drive. A total of 3 partitions with
first MacOS standard ( /dev/hda9 ), A/UX Native (
/dev/hda10 ), and A/UX Swap (/dev/hda11).

According to the updated installation manual I have
placed a copy of bootscript, vmlinux, yaboot, and
yaboot.conf in my System Folder in the MacOS
partition. I copied these files from the Install
folder on the CD-ROM.

The manual says to edit the yaboot.conf file and
change the default=install to default=linux. I did
this.

My yaboot.conf file is a follows:

init-message = "\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit
<TAB> for boot options.\n\n"
timeout = 150
default = linux

image = hd:,\\vmlinux
    label = linux

image = hd:,\\vmlinux
    label = linux-novideo
    novideo

image = cd:,\\\\vmlinux
    label = install
    initrd = cd:,\\\\ramdisk.image.gz
    initrd-size=8192

image = cd:,\\\\vmlinux
    label = install-novideo
    initrd = cd:,\\\\ramdisk.image.gz
    initrd-size=8192
    novideo

image = cd:,\\\\vmlinux
    label = cd-linux

image = cd:,\\\\vmlinux
    label = cd-linux-novideo
    novideo

The manual also says to dual-boot the machine I need
to go into Open Firmware and do:

setenv boot-device hd:,\\bootscript.

I did this as well.

If I reboot the machine with the space bar held (which
the manual says to do) the machine just hangs at a
grey screen.

I also tried this in Open Firmware:

setenv boot-device hd:,\\yaboot
boot

I get a yaboot program, but when I try to boot linux I
get missing kernel or something!?

- Mark Rissman