Re: YDL is a no go......

Subject: Re: YDL is a no go......
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 05:27:04 MDT

on 26/10/00 10:14 am, Hollis R Blanchard at hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Iain Stevenson wrote:
>>
>> I think the problem is that the newer (2.2.17) kernel does not, by default,
>> list the daemons as they start up. The older kernels would put up a long
>> list of information as programs were started. So you get absolutely no
>> information after the "booting ...".
>
> If this is the case with your machine then you have a problem. You should
> definately be able to use the console. What video and machine do you have?

... but it used to work just fine until I upgraded to the 2.2.17 kernel -
then I lost all the startup messages. So, I reckon that means:

- there's a problem with the kernel
OR
- I forgot to configure something.

My machine is a standard 9600/200 with the IMS Twin Turbo card as supplied
with it.

>> Your screen may be remaining blank because X Windows isn't starting
>> properly.
>
> In YDL, X Windows is not launched at the end of the boot process by default.
> This is easily changable, but I remain convinced that this is a very good
> idea. Even experienced users can accidentally muck up their XF86Config and
> can be left with an unusable system and a hard reboot.
>
> -Hollis

I beg to differ .... when I start up the login dialog box is presented - an
X application? - I don't get a console prompt. I have made a mess of
XF86Config before so I know the pain this can cause. However, the "blind"
startup is just as bad.

  Iain