Newbie in need of serious help

Subject: Newbie in need of serious help
From: Dr S Douglass (dr_s_douglass@mac.com)
Date: Sat Jan 02 1904 - 02:49:26 MST

Ok. I got the dog out and running after many many failed installations and
then a bunch of boot errors. I am currently in my Mac OS, as Linux is not
quite functional.

A list of things that I need some help fixing.

Video. I have an iMac DV/SE 1999. I tried it with video first, and all I got
was a very messed up screen. So I tried the no-video as stated in the
manual. In a way, this is worse. I am getting 640x480 I think, in 8 bit
colour. And no accelleration. The system is slow, and dragging windows make
the system halt for about 10 seconds, and then I can see a line by line
redraw. How do I fix this? I have not found any monitors control panel or
what ever the equivelent is in Linux. No option to change the colour,
nothing to change resolution, and no way of altering video settings.

Internet. Linux refuses to see that I have a modem in my iMac. It just says
something like, device not found or supported, or something like that.
However, I have do desire to use my 56k connection and grow old quickly. I
have a 2 meg DSL line I want to get working. I have no idea how to do this.
The service is with Bellsouth.net fast acess. The DSL modem is connected
directly to my iMacs ethernet port. I have to use to a dial out software
when ever I boot the machine to initialize the modem. There are linux
drivers on the CD rom that came with it, but I can not seem to get them to
do anything but give me errors.

Sound. There is no sound at all. How do I change this?

Date and time. There is no way to set the day and time that I have found. It
says Jan 1 1900 every time I start linux. (Y2K bug?)

Adding new users. I know about the usr commands. When ever I add a user and
create a password, and then log out and then try to loggon as a new usr, I
get the same message. Usrs password has expired, or is unable to be found,
or some message along those lines.

Final question for now. How do I shut linux down? i mean I know how to shut
down, but, it fails to do anything. It just goes to a promt and hangs there,
doing nothing, and I am unable to type anything in. I have to hit the main
power switch to kill the machine.

Any and all advice would be wonderfull, and I would be very thankful. Very
much looking for the day when I no longer need to boot into Mac OS to do
daily chores.

<dr_s_douglass@mac.com>

Also, how do I change the boot level or what ever that is called..