Re: Newbie in need of serious help

Subject: Re: Newbie in need of serious help
From: Leadfeather (leadfeather-mcc@home.com)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 12:13:30 MDT

I can possibly help you with 2 of your questions

This was copied and pasted from http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/faq_solutions.shtml

> Sound. There is no sound at all. How do I change this?

Q: Sound doesn't seem to be working. How do I turn it on?

To get sound working. Simply type: modprobe dmasound This will activate sound immediately. Do use a mixer program to verify that levels are set properly (i.e.: that the volume isn't turned all the way down). To make sure sound is activated on every boot, add the line:
                   alias sound dmasound
to your (probably empty) /etc/conf.modules file.

> Final question for now. How do I shut linux down? i mean I know how to shut
> down, but, it fails to do anything. It just goes to a promt and hangs there,
> doing nothing, and I am unable to type anything in. I have to hit the main
> power switch to kill the machine.

In order to shutdown I usually log out of X then at the promp type "shutdown -r now" for a restart and "shutdown -h now" for a total system shutdown.

Matthew VZ