Re: Another question considering yboot not finding the image

Subject: Re: Another question considering yboot not finding the image
From: Busman (busman@telsur.cl)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 21:03:31 MDT

>On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, philippe tapon wrote:
>>
>> > I have also tried
>> >
>> > image=/vmlinux --> with the kernal on the / directiory and in many
>> > other places too
>> > label=Linux
>> > root=/dev/hdb9
>> > partition=9
>>
>> try image=hd:x,\\vmlinux
>>
>> where x refers to the partition number that has the boot MacOS partition
>> (seems like 8 in your case). The \\ sometimes works if the vmlinux file
>> is in the root directory of the MacOS partition. If vmlinux is in the
>> MacOS System folder you may have to use \\\\ instead. Yaboots vary. . .
>
>I recently discovered the reason for this.
>
>In OF, you use "boot hd:,\\yaboot". However, in yaboot you can escape
>characters using \ (for example, "\n"). So to get an actual "\", you need
>to type "\\" (this is typical).
>
>Since yaboot has supported the "\n" bit for a long time, I suspect this
>has not changed.
>
>In summary, you should use "\\\\" in your yaboot.conf to refer to the
>System Folder and "\\" in OF. If anyone finds that doesn't work I'd like
>to hear about it.
>
>-Hollis

well maybe in your machine... in here (g4/400 AGP) my config file is this...

timeout = 5
default=linux

image = hd:9,\\vmlinux
   label=linux
   root=/dev/hdb10

append = "video=aty128fb:vmode:17,cmode:24"

and when start the mac write...

boot hd:9,\yaboot.tbxi

and no problem... >:)

Busman
-------
PD:I send yesterday or something a e-mail wit a few questions... have
anyone see that?

I have many, I mind MANY questions to the linux people around here :)