When Yellow Dog Attacks!

Subject: When Yellow Dog Attacks!
From: Dr S Douglass (dr_s_douglass@mac.com)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 06:42:21 MST

At about 4 am this morning, I was just wrapping things up for the night and
thought to my self about going into Linux for a while and trying to hash
things out. Little did I know I was about to enter computer Hell.

I restarted my Mac, space bar down, got the usual boot: message, and typed
in Linux-novideo. Linux booted. And instead of the friendly penguin and
black and white text, all I got was garbled alpha numeric glitches. Total
anarchy of the system. And then it totally locked up. I killed everything
with the programmers switch. Started Mac OS. Then everything went really
really bad. Mac OS would not boot. I killed the machine totally. I started
from the CD. When the CD loaded the desktop, I noticed my usual hard drive
icon was missing. With a bit of hesitation, I ran the disk formatter. It
found the disk. However, when I tried to initialize it, it gave me this
message. (Or something very close. the exact words escape me, it was after
all, about 4 am.) Unknown or unsupported disk. Initialization cancelled.
This was very bad. I killed the machine, used a paper clip to remove the CD,
and then inserted tech tool pro. I was able to reformat the disk, and
finally got my Mac OS working. The disk was totally hosed. It took Tech Tool
three attempts to even recognize that a disk was there.

I have no idea what happened, but, it seemed that Yellow Dog bit the hand
that feeds it. I am still having problems. My Mac's video seems to be
corrupted or something. The screen is kinda dim, and the edges look blurry.
It was never like this before. The system just crawls now. Tried to fine
tune the OS with tech tool and other utilities, but, they cant seem to find
any problems. My poor Mac is in sorry shape. I tried contacting YDL customer
support, but, when I gave my name and the product ID number for the software
I paid cash for, it tells me invallid user name or password. Please, please
tell me that I am not being shilled.

Any ideas from anybody what the bloody hell went wrong? I mean, what could
possibly cause such wide spread system distruction? For right now, I would
rather not try another install of Yellow Dog, but, I still want to try and
learn Linux. Any recommendations of other distros that are not as unstable,
or hostile home wreckers?

If somebody has a CD burner or has copies of other distros for installation,
I would be glad to slide a handful of cash your way if you were to send some
copies.

<dr_s_douglass@mac.com>