Re: When Yellow Dog Attacks!

Subject: Re: When Yellow Dog Attacks!
From: Jag (agrajag@linuxpower.org)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 08:02:51 MST

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Dr S Douglass wrote:

> Any ideas from anybody what the bloody hell went wrong? I mean, what could
> possibly cause such wide spread system distruction? For right now, I would
> rather not try another install of Yellow Dog, but, I still want to try and
> learn Linux. Any recommendations of other distros that are not as unstable,
> or hostile home wreckers?

Sounds to me like its bad hardware. Usually when I see something like
that, I just turn the machine off and forget about it until the next
day. I've lost count of the number of times I've done that, and it
worked perfectly the next day. There are a lot of enviromental factors
(like temperature and humidity) that can temporarily throw a machine off
its rocker, but if you turn it off and let it sit a little while, it'll
tend to come back as long as the bad conditions went away and the
hardware wasn't permenately damaged in the process.

Considering how mature and well tested the linux kernel is, I really
doubt that it was responsible for causing these problems. And the fact
that you still have them after wiping your drive and trying to reinstall
MacOS indicate that the original problem came from your hardware and not
from the software being run on it.

Jag