Re: Some very weird stuff - DSL Answer

Subject: Re: Some very weird stuff - DSL Answer
From: Robert Vogt IV (robert@arborhost.com)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 08:17:32 MST

        Mr. Douglass,

> Dr S Douglass wrote:
> > Time on the mac side was screwy as well, as you can see if you look at my
> > first email. I zapped the PRAM on my system. Had to reconfig the firmware
> > for yaboot. I have sound. But now, the video problem is even worse. (Yes..
> > Worse.) When I boot into Xwindows now, it is in black and white. And
> > everything looks horribly grainy and now it is even slower. Also, sound is
> > not in sync. When I close a window, the sound will play a few seconds later.
> > So far, inspite of all this trouble, I think I really like Linux. Still no
> > word on how to get my DSL connected with linux, and no matter what I do, it
> > will not, and can not see that I have a modem. (Dial up 56k modem that is) i
> > would rather have the DSL up and running some how. I am hesitant to contact
> > bellsouth and they seem to be a bunch of idiots at tech support, at least
> > with Macs. I shudder to think what they might say or do about linux.

        In a general sense, both DSL and Cable connections require an
interpretation box, or DSL/Cable 'modem.' This connects via an Ethernet
crossover cable to your computer's Ethernet port. Thus, you simply go
into Linuxconf and tell it to enable DHCP addressing on eth0 (primary
Ethernet port), after connecting all of the hardware. Then, you should
reboot your machine, or type 'ifup eth0.' Afterward, you can check the
status of what happened by typing 'ifconfig.' (All as root.)

        The machine should indicate it got an IP address. If not, call
them up and tell them you have a Windows machine, and get all of the
necessary config. info that way. Then email me, and I'll try to help you
get setup.

        If the machine _did_ get an IP address, then you're all set. Try
'lynx yellowdoglinux.com' (or try opening Netscape under X).

        Good luck.

                                Sincerely,

                                Robert Vogt IV
                                CEO