Re: Yellowdog Linux on Mac drives: HFS, or HFS+ ?

Subject: Re: Yellowdog Linux on Mac drives: HFS, or HFS+ ?
From: Eric Reischer (emr@engr.de.psu.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 14:01:54 MST

>I suppose a gig should be enough for Linux?

It depends on what you're planning on running/installing on the Linux
system. If you have 9 gigs, I'd give at least 2 gigs, if not more, to the
linux partition. The /usr folder can get quite large, especially if you're
planning on installing any programs other than what installs by default. I
am currently trying to install Debian or redhat on a couple of laptops that
only have 500MB of disk space. By the time I'm done installing, I usually
only have about 50 MB or so left. If you're planning on running X as well,
I'd consider at least 2 gigs if I were you (unless you desperately need the
space for MacOS).

>Wonder if I can mix HFS+ and HFS partitions on the same drive?

I have mixed NTFS/FAT32/EXT2/LinuxSwap partitions all on one drive and it
hasn't caused me any problems yet. It shouldn't really matter. (at least
mixing PC filesystems it doesn't. can't help you much with macs)

Eric Reischer "You can't depend on your eyes
emr@engr.de.psu.edu if your imagination is out
of focus."
emr@ccil.org -- Mark Twain