ide probe error trying to compile 2.4.0-test9 gerbil on 2.2.17

Subject: ide probe error trying to compile 2.4.0-test9 gerbil on 2.2.17
From: philippe tapon (ptapon@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 01:46:02 MST

hello

While trying to compile a 2.4.0-test9 kernel, the source of which I got
from kernel.org, I received these error messages:

drivers/ide/idedriver.o: In function 'pmac_ide_probe':
drivers/ide/idedriver.o(.text.init+0x2048): undefined reference to
'media_bay_set_ide_infos'
drivers/ide/idedriver.o(.text.init+0x2048): relocation truncated to fit:
R_PPC_REL24 media_bay_set_ide_infos
drivers/ide/idedriver.o(.text.init+0x224c): undefined reference to
'check_media_Bay_by_base'
drivers/ide/idedriver.o(.text.init+0x224c): relocation truncated to fit:
R_PPC_REL24 check_media_by_base
drivers/input/inputdrv.o: In function 'keybdev_event':
drivers/input/inputdrv.o(.text+0x168c): undefined reference to
'emulate_raw'
drivers/input/inputdrv.o(.text+0x168c): relocation truncated to fit:
R_PPC_REL24 emulate_raw
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

and that's as far as it got. It compiled for a merry ten minutes or so
before getting to that point. I did a make mrproper beforehand. I
certainly ran make dep and make clean. True, I didn't use the command
"make bzImage"--although both the kernel how-to and Linus's readme told
me to, I couldn't get any ball rolling at all with that
command, finally just typed "make" as root and off it went. That may be
my mistake, but why should the compile halt at *this* point? I'm
confused.
        if there's some sort of change I can make to the xconfig that will skip
over the troublesome section of the code, I'm down wif dat; however, the
pmac_ide_probe (powermac IDE prove) looks like it's kinda essential. Or
is it? Any help at all will be much appreciated.

peace

philippe

machine: 1999 iMac DV SE
kernel: 2.2.17pre20-ben3