Re: YDL is up and running

Subject: Re: YDL is up and running
chris@music.mcgill.ca
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 08:38:21 MST

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Nathan A. McQuillen wrote:
>(Stop me, anybody, if I'm saying anything inaccurate or too general here
>-- I'm no expert, but I don't think "drivers" for a DSL modem sounds too
>kosher. It was my understanding that they tend to be stand-alone devices,
>and generally include routing and support for multiple IP addresses.)

 Actually, there is a good chance that what his phone company is using is
not TCP over ethernet, but PPPoE. This would likely require special
drivers, perhaps proprietary, depending on how it was implemented. I do
know that my phone company pulled this stunt on me, and it was a major
PITA to get it to work under MacOS let alone Linux. I dropped them and
switched to cable modem, and I haven't regretted it at all.

I do have a router though, but didn't use Linux because I'm using a Nubus
(PPC6100) machine and I didn't want to mess with MkLinux (and IPNetRouter
from Sustworks works beautifully and is *very* easy to use). If I had a
7200 doing the job instead, I'm not sure whether I would use IPNetRouter
or Linux... like I said, IPNetRouter is really easy and very stable.

Cheers,

Chris