Re: Please Help

Subject: Re: Please Help
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 10:01:02 MST

Tony,

on 30/10/00 4:23 pm, Tony Yazbeck at tyazbeck@bigfoot.com wrote:

> I have the 2.2.17 kernel. Can U please explain how you enable dma sound in
> that kernel. When I reboot, I still get a failed message when the OS is
> trying to startup sound because its still pointing to the old module. Is
> there a way to fix that?

... only to update the modules AFAIK. That requires a kernel rebuild or
you'll need to reinstall from the YellowDog master discs. You must keep the
kernel and its modules in step. Another alternative is to build a kernel
with DMA sound compiled in rather than as a module.

>>> 2) Whenever I click on the CD-ROM icon on my desktop..I get the message
>>> that ISO9660 is not supported by the kernel. However, when I put a music
>>>
>>> CD, my CD player actually plays it, but no sound comes out.
>>
>> check the kernel - ISO9660 may not be enabled by default.

... I was slightly in error - as pointed out by Hollis. YDL should read an
ISO9660 CD by default. However, there are other CD formats which may not be
included by default in the kernel. You can build a kernel with additional
support.

  Iain