Re: DSL situation

Subject: Re: DSL situation
From: Howard Shere (hshere@greendragon.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 11:32:50 MST

> Ok. Here is the deal. Bellsouth is a pain in the keister.
>
> I called again today and spoke to one of the higher ups, and it seems they
> use a propriatary protocol to prevent people from using DSL to have
> unauthorized accounts. Explanation. They use a special Enternet software to
> keep people who already own DSL modems from "hacking" into Bellsouth and
> getting free service. And I was told unless I have a supported OS, I had
> better not try and use this service. Apparently, I need the special
> Bellsouth Enternet front end to us my DSL account, and I was told that
> unauthorized use of my acount, or any tampering with my account would result
> in termination of my service.
>
> Now, that said. What should I do. is this at all true, and do they actually
> have a right to do this?
>
> Also, from the Mac front, I was rather insulted by this rude twit. He said,
> as follows. "it is bad enough we have to support Macs on our network, and
> now we have Mac Linux. We have no plans to support Mac Linux now, or at any
> time in the future. I apologize sir, but, this is a niche market, and merely
> a passing novelty. And just for your information, we do not support the OSX
> beta that Apple has been distributing. Thank you for using bellsouth." And
> then he hung up. So there is the deal.
>
> Any ideas as to a work around? Cable modems are not available in my area,
> and are Windows peecees only in the area where they are thanks to Charter
> Communications.

How far is it between the ends of your link? You can roll your own DSL for
$40 a month and service from an ISP who will support you. We use
www.wailan.com equipment for this purpose and we run ADSL (7 Mbit download,
1 Mbit upload) over a simple dry pair that we pay $40 per month for.

E-mail me if you have any questions.

 Gridz 1.3 ---- www.gridz.com ---- NetSpace will never be the same again
Howard Shere | Green Dragon Creations | Water Valley Interchange
President | 301 N. Main St. | P.O. Box 70
Software Sculptor | Water Valley, MS 38965 | Water Valley, MS 38965