Re: DSL situation

Subject: Re: DSL situation
From: Sean O. Denney (sdenney@cise.ufl.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 11:37:20 MST

I have BellSouth DSL, and was using their Enternet Software. At the
time I ordered my DSL from them, I also ordered a LinkSys Etherfast
Cable/DSL Router (4-port version). The router allows me to trash
Bell$outh's crap *ss software and use the router's builtin PPPoE
connectivity. The router also allows me to network more than one
computer (PC/Mac/Linux) by using DHCP.

PPPoE is not a proprietary protocol. It is a protocol which allows
DSL providers to conserve bandwidth, a la modem dialup access. In
other words, the provider does not have to commit bandwidth to you
while you are idle.

I have dealt with Bell$outh in the past, and they are the most
disorganized company outside the government. When I ordered my DSL
service, I had to get the pro-install because I had a mac. The DSL
modem that I received was an Ethernet based modem (another reason for
the pro install).

The man that came to my house said the mac is the easiest platform to
set the service up on. Even though Bell$outh does not support home
networking, he told me that it was "all good".

One thing I have learned... NEVER EVER CALL BELL$OUTH FOR SUPPORT ON
ANYTHING!!

--- Sean Denney