Re: DSL situation

Subject: Re: DSL situation
christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 11:49:24 MST

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Dr S Douglass wrote:
>Also, from the Mac front, I was rather insulted by this rude twit. He said,
>as follows. "it is bad enough we have to support Macs on our network, and
>now we have Mac Linux. We have no plans to support Mac Linux now, or at any
>time in the future. I apologize sir, but, this is a niche market, and merely
>a passing novelty. And just for your information, we do not support the OSX
>beta that Apple has been distributing. Thank you for using bellsouth." And
>then he hung up. So there is the deal.

 Ouch! I would probably ask to speak to this guy's boss and lay into him,
but that probably won't get you anywhere.

>Any ideas as to a work around? Cable modems are not available in my area,
>and are Windows peecees only in the area where they are thanks to Charter
>Communications.

 Well, you could do what I'm doing. Get a cheap PPC (like a 6100 or 7200)
and pop an extra ethernet card into it (7200 might be easier to find an
extra ethernet card for, the 6100 would require a PDS to Nubus adapter
first). Then get a small hub (10BaseT will probably do, but 100BaseT is
getting so cheap these days), and get IPNetRouter from www.sustworks.com.
This isn't really idea, cuz it will end up costing you about $150 for the
PPC, $30 for the hub and $80 for the software, but at least it should work
and you can add extra machines later if you want to.

 Bummer that your ISP is so lame. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada