Re: Re: Yellowdog Linux on Mac drives: HFS, or HFS+ ?

Subject: Re: Re: Yellowdog Linux on Mac drives: HFS, or HFS+ ?
From: William F. Hostman (aramis@gci.net)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 21:50:33 MST

>----- At 2:36 PM -0600 on 10/29/00, you wrote:
>>Linux can't mount or otherwise deal with HFS+ formatted drives, AFAIK.
>>Other than that it should be no problem -- you just won't be able to get
>>at the Mac files from the Linux end.
>>
>>What are you going to use to partition the drive?
>>
>>-N
>
>Thanks for confirming that, now I can proceed. I was going to use the
>standard Apple Drive Setup, make two partitions. I guess since I
>won't be using HFS+ I should make several partitions. I suppose a gig
>should be enough for Linux? Wonder if I can mix HFS+ and HFS
>partitions on the same drive?
>
>Thanks again,
>Jim

You can mix and match; I run with HDA9 being multi-gig hfs+, hda 10 being
hfs, hda11 being swap and hda12 being ufs root. hda 13 is a spare hfs for
some other stuff, especially shared stuff between both mac-side and linux
side.. My hfs boot partition is where I put yaboot and my kernel; I
understand that these are required to be on HFS, not HFSplus. However, I
haven't figured out where my 30 GB USB drive (I don't know if it's even
supported). I also don't know if my keyspan usb-->macserial dongle is
supported (USA-28X), or my macally usb floppy. Anyone know?

William F. Hostman | "Smith & Wesson: THe original Point and Click
interface!"
Aramis 0602 C55A364-C S kk+ as+ hi+ dr+ va++(--) so+ zh++ vi+ da++ sy- ge-
533
aramis@gci.net http://home.gci.net/~aramis Vilani: uilamaanamti sirohbrankilin
IMTU 1.0: tc tm++ tn- t4-- tt+ to- tg-- ru+ ge 3i+ c+ jt-() au+ st- ls
pi+() ta+ he+(-) kk+ as+ hi+ dr+ va++(--) so+ zh++ vi+ da++ sy- ge- pi+