Re: DSL situation

Subject: Re: DSL situation
From: Nathan A. McQuillen (nmlists@steaky.dhs.org)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 03:19:04 MST

I can attest to the fact that Charter Communciations' cable modems work
just fine with Linux. (in fact, with 3 static IPs for $60 a month here in
Madison, even with an upstream speed cap it's a pretty good deal).

I didn't know about all that DSL encryption crap. Man... It would be so
much easier if neighborhoods would just get their act together and
cooperatively purchase T2s, just run cable from house to house or
something.

Sorry if I provided misinformation -- and even sorrier that you had to
deal with idiots on the phone. I hold to my initial point that since your
Linux box is a computer, it's got the same basic capabilities as a PC, and
you should be able to do the same sorts of things -- have you tried just
not telling them that your Linux box is running on PPC hardware? Or tell
'em it's a "quadruple processor gigahertz Alpha" or an "undisclosed
teraflop test system from SGI." If they're baby Windoze jocks, they'll
fuzzily recognize the few things even the Wintel world generally bows to,
and they might set you up with a real tech who can give you real info.
It's amazing how far you can get just by feeding a bigger line of BS back
to phone support than what they're feeding you.

Sorry if this strikes anybody as off-topic, untrue, mean-spirited or
generally disrespectful. I've had to deal with a lot of ignorant crap over
the years trying to do high-end things with the Mac, and just flat-out
lying through my teeth has proven to be the best strategy when dealing
with ISPs and the like. I think it's in the best PPC Linux tradition to
respond to a platform question with "that's none of your business."

Best of luck, and keep us posted,

- Nathan