server deafness on startup

Subject: server deafness on startup
From: Gawain Reifsnyder (gawain@guitar.net)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 10:22:33 MST

I've just installed OpenSSL and mod_ssl on our G4-based Yellow Dog
Linux server. Thanks to those who responded with suggestions! The
server is still being used for development and so isn't running 24/7
yet. When starting the server, all services appear to start normally.
I can telnet to the server from itself, browse the web and locally
served pages using lynx.

The problem: The server doesn't respond to http/ftp requests (or
even pings directly to the server's IP address) from the outside
world until I first ping something (like our ISP) from it. Then all
appears to be forgiven and all services are suddenly available.

Prior to the installation of OpenSSL and mod_ssl this problem didn't
exist and the server was ping-able immediately after booting up.

Any theories?

Best regards,

Gawain Reifsnyder
Guitar.net, Inc.