Re: Easy road to KDE 2.0

Subject: Re: Easy road to KDE 2.0
From: Alfonso AGNEW (aagnew@post.cis.smu.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 10:57:30 MST

Hi Tony,

Sorry I haven't got back to you quicker about building the kernel, now that
you've successfully rsync'd the source to your machine. This week has turned
out to be an ultra busy one.

In fact, I am currently trying to compile a 2.2.17 kernel for my wallstreet
pbg3. Initial attempts have failed, but as I said, I haven't had the time to
really put the effort in. When I finally get the time to successfully build
the kernel, I will get back to you. Or, perhaps you can get back to me if you
pull it off first!

If you'd like to play around with the kernel before I can help, read through
the README file that is in the /usr/src/linux-pmac-stable folder. The basic
kernel instructions are there and are very straightforward: Go to
/usr/src/linux (this should put you in linux-pmac-stable, since the folder
"linux" should be a link pointing to it), enter the following commands:

make mrproper

This makes sure you have a "clean slate" to build the kernel with. Then do:

make xconfig

This will pop up a menu where you make a zillion selections based on your
machine specifics. A quick way through this is to accept all of the default
choices. This may or may not work for your machine. Otherwise, you have some
reading to do to find out what choices you should make for your machine. Then,
do:

make dep

and then

make

the README says to use make "zImage" instead of "make" but that doesn't seem to
matter. I think it's an intel linux thing. After a lot of crunching, your
computer will either report that the build failed, or it will report nothing in
particular (good news). At this point, you should have a file called vmlinux
in the folder /usr/src/linux-pmac-stable, as well as System.map.

To see if your new kernel (vmlinux) will work on your machine, copy it over to
the mac side and put vmlinux into the "kernel folder" that is in your mac
"system folder". I use bootX to bott into linux, and so when I restart the
machine, the bootX window shows up. I press the tab button to stop the
countdown to default, and there is a popup menu in the bootX window that let's
me select which kernel to boot. Choose the new one. If you successfully boot
into linux, it worked! If you successfully booted into linux but got a bunch
of "System.map" errors, that's still OK and easy to fix (leave that for another
time). If you don't successfully boot into linux, then it's back to the
drawing board.

 IMPORTANT: Make backups of all your old files, in particular, your working
kernel on the mac side. The easiest way is to rename the new kernel
"kernel-test" or something, then choose it during bootX. If you're using
yaboot, I can't help you on how to specify the test kernel, but I'm sure it's
not difficult.

Cheers,

Alfonso