Help me please! I'm stranded :(

Subject: Help me please! I'm stranded :(
From: Adam Barrow (2adam@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 02:04:51 MDT

Dear all,
  Please help. I am really sorry to bother you with this, but I am at my
wits' end, and have not been able to find any help in the list archives.
Please forgive me if there is an answer that I've been missing. Thanks in
advance.

What I have is an original iMac (Rev A) with a 13GB drive, that has been
partitioned into the following:

hd:5 MAC HFS+ 6.7GB
hd:6 Linux 2.0GB
hd:7 Linux Swap 128MB (I have 64MB ram)
hd:8 MAC HFS 3.9GB

I had installed (about two years ago) YDL on the Linux partition, and then
passed the computer on to my father. He never had much luck with YDL, and
managed to crash it quite a lot (I think the X config was all wrong...).
Anyhow, when I got the machine back last month, I upgraded to MacOS 9.2, and
so couldn't use bootX anymore. Now, I've been trying to install YaBoot, but
without any success! I have Yaboot 1.1.1 blessed and in my system folder
(hd:5) and can boot into it. The problem is that with the 5 different
VMLinuxes (kernels?) that I have on my system, I can't get a one of them to
work!?!? I've also tried looking for newer versions of Yaboot, but all I can
find require the use of ybin to install, which it seems requires Linux, so I
am quite stuck (I think). I can download on the HFS side, and can read (c/o
MountX) from my ext2 partition. My only other limitation is that I don't
have (and unfortunately can't get) a working YDL CD (I do have a copy of the
orriginal install CD used, except it is HFS -- another long story) Here are
the files that I have now, and if there is any other information that I can
give to help, please ask!
(when I use any of these four in my yaboot.conf file, I get what looks like
an OF prompt "0>" and a debugging message that begins "default catch". Can't
seem to do anything after that)
vmlinux-2.2.6-16bpmac January 18, 2000 1:26 2.8MB
vmlinux.bootX July 31, 1999 3:24 2.8MB
vmlinux.ibook.12 January 15, 2000 16:40 2.4MB
vmlinux.ibook.9 December 17, 1999 9:12 2.6MB
This one boots (well, draws the penguin, and begins the boot process - gets
to telling me that I need FSCHK on /dev/hda6 and wants my root password --
one catch: the keyboard mapping is all wrong -- eg: return is 7 and k is
return!)
vmlinux June 25, 2001 20:57 2.8MB
(downloaded from
ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yellowdog-2.0/ppc/install/vmlinux
)

I've also tried using various ramdisks (although I must admit to being a
little over my head here in that I'm not sure I understand what I'm doing),
but so far have not had any luck!
ramdisk.bootX.image.gz July 31, 1999 3:19 1.0MB
ramdisk-text.image.gz June 25, 2001 20:57 3.2MB
rescue.image.gz June 25, 2001 20:58 3.8MB
(the last two I downloaded from
ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yellowdog-2.0/ppc/install/vmlinux
)

Any help or suggestions that can be offered would be most appriciated!

Thanks again,
  Adam Barrow