Re: Please help with G4 install

Subject: Re: Please help with G4 install
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 18:38:30 MDT

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Alfonso F. Agnew wrote:
>Another tidbit I gleaned from the archives is that there may be a problem
>with those G4's that came stock with a DVD-ROM, which mine did - something
>about a dvd decoder card causing an installation to abort. Can anyone tell
>me more about this? I'm not to knowledgeable about such things.
>
>Here is my set up:
>
>AGP G4 400MHz, 20GB stock hard drive, 256MB stock RAM
>Stock DVD-ROM replaced with a SONY CD-RW
>Non-stock 8.5 GB SCSI HD with adaptec2 scsi card.

 My guess would be that the problem is either the scsi card or the CD-RW
(but most likely the scsi card). I have installed YDL on 6 different G4s
without any problems so far, including machines with DVD-ROM and DVD-RAMs,
single and dual CPUs as well.

 If that doesn't work, try updating the firmware as well (if you haven't
already done so).

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada

Tel.: (514) 398-3122 Fax: (514) 398-2017