Kernel panic help - desperate!!

Subject: Kernel panic help - desperate!!
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 10:17:31 MDT

Hi all,

At this point I am ready to throw my machine out the window, if *anyone*
can help I will be extremely grateful.

My Powerbook G3 running Linux v2.4.7 is very unreliable - I get kernel
panics some three to four times per day, and it's driving me up the
wall. Obviously there are a numnber of possible causes for this, both
hardware and software, however my problem relates to getting a useful
stack trace out of the kernel.

My questions are thus:

- Is the xmon debugger supported under LinuxPPC? Whenever my machine
crashes, the xmon debugger comes up in a font approx 2x2 in size - ie
absolutely useless. How do I fix this?

- One of the hugest problems with this is damage to the filesystem
caused by the need to hard reboot the machine without a shutdown. I
understand that there is a magic sysreq key combination that will sync
and then unmount the drives before you pull the plug. Are there xmon
keys that will do this? If so, how? (I obviously cannot read any xmon
output in a font two pixels high).

- How do I get access to a backtrace? Is this saved to a logfile
somewhere? Is there some pagan ritual on how to do this?

I have been trawling mailing lists and documentation for months trying
to solve this issue with no response - surely someone must know how to
do this? All the docs are can find are for Linux Intel only - surely the
LinuxPPC port has *some* documentation *somewhere*?

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street