Re: Kernel panic help - desperate!!

Subject: Re: Kernel panic help - desperate!!
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 12:10:41 MDT

Neill Miller wrote:

> Which 2.4.7 kernel are you running?

I've gone through a number of kernels, the latest being v2.4.7 from
kernel.org (ie the vanilla kernel).

> Have you tried the "benh" tree or the penguinppc trees at
> http://www.penguinppc.org/dev/kernel.shtml ?

Yes.

The problem seems to be related to the serial driver, but without access
to kernel debug information I cannot prove it. The serial driver is
pretty flaky (the modem "disappears" after dialling up a number of
times, reloading the serial driver module "fixes" it, but after doing
this a kernel panic is almost inevitable within a few hours afterwards).

The flakiness was terrible in the v2.2.x kernels, but significantly less
so in v2.4.x - but the bugs are still there.

> Which powerbook do you have? I have a Powerbook 2000 G3 FireWire
> (aka Pismo) and either of the above mentioned trees tend to build
> and run well. And xmon is only supported if you build it into the
> kernel.

I'm aware of that - but it does not work - xmon cannot handle whatever X
does to the screen when it runs, so when it crashes xmon displays
incorrectly to the point of being illegible.

What xmon commands are there to sync and unmount the disks?

> It's on by default in the above mentioned kernels, and when I do
> something terrible, I get dropped to the xmon prompt as expected.

What version of X are you using? I am still on v3.3.6 (in the process of
organising an upgrade but it takes time).

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street