Re: Kernel Building Update.

Subject: Re: Kernel Building Update.
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 01:44:53 MDT

At 11:11 PM -0500 10/2/01, Kitt Thompson wrote:
>Hey Tim, thanks for the info on the updated Modutils. I nabbed
>them from the YDL site and installed them as per your instructions.
>But, it didn't fix the problem. I get the same messages upon boot
>time. I ran depmod -a while under the new kernel and it gave me
>a whole bunch of Unresolved symbol messages. Almost as if none of
>the modules loaded.

Did you rebuild the kernel and modules? You'll have to do a make
clean followed by make and make modules at least.

>What exactly is the Unresolved Symbol message trying to tell me?

Symbols are part of compiled executable code which inform linkers how
to join two or more pieces of compiled code together. E.G. if module
Foo needs to call function bar() which is part of the kernel, the
module loader needs to match the symbol bar in the two pieces of code
and make some adjustments so that the module can successfully call
bar().

If some symbols are unresolved, the two pieces of code can't talk to
each other, which in this case causes the module load attempt to fail.

--
Tim Seufert