Blank strip on iMac X display under YDL 1.2

Subject: Blank strip on iMac X display under YDL 1.2
From: Jeff Tupholme (jeff.tupholme@openmethods.com)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 13:57:53 MDT

Hi,

I have just installed YDL 1.2 on a slot-loading iMac using yaboot. No problems.

I want to run X on this machine, something I am new to. I have used
Xconfigurator and can get to the desktop successfully, except I get a white
stripe about 100 pixels wide down the righthand side of the screen. This is
effectively part of the desktop area (as judged by the alignment of
windows) but obscures anything placed 'underneath' it.

The iMac has ATI Rage 128 video and I am running at 1024*768. There is no
other visual distortion and the desktop works fine. I have tried various
video settings in yaboot, to no effect whatsoever, and also the
Xconfigurator options, but this only makes things worse by messing up the
interlacing. Nothing affects the strip.

I should also point out that the strip remains after quitting X (although
it changes to a tan colour!). There is no problem using the console/text
mode before going into X, and no alignment problems at any time. Mac OS has
no video problems.

All the FAQs and so on that I have found deal with actually getting X
running at all. I guess I am quite lucky to have go so far so painlessly,
but the desktop is effectively unusable because of this problem.

Any experiences with this problem, or any solutions shared greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Tupholme, Open Methods Limited

email: jeff.tupholme@openmethods.com