Re: Removing BootX on Old World system

Subject: Re: Removing BootX on Old World system
From: Andrew Leahy (aleahy@knox.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 09:32:09 MDT

> I did not think this was possible? Has anyone had success in
> completely eradicating Mac OS from their Old World system while
> running linux?
>
> --Brian

Use quik. It was probably installed with YDL 2.0 by default. At least,
when I've gone through the install, it mentions something about installing
quik right at the end.

'man quik' and/or 'man quik.conf' for more information. And do a search for
'quik' on google.com. If you screw things up, just remember that you can
zap the pram to get it to boot back into MacOS.

I haven't gotten quik to work yet with YDL 2.0. However, the 7200's I have
were flaky in that regard even with Linuxppc 2000, so I haven't given up
hope yet.

In fact, it's possible to remove MacOS out of the loop entirely--even during
installation. You can use the open firmware to tell the Mac to boot off of
a floppy with a Linux kernel image. I think it's more elegant, but I'm sure
it's a bit of a pain from the distribution developer end of things.

Andrew Leahy
aleahy@knox.edu