power save and XFree86-4

Subject: power save and XFree86-4
From: Alexander Holst (holst@fh-pforzheim.de)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 07:48:43 MDT

Hi everybody,

I have some machines running YDL2.0 by now, but one refuses to set the
monitor in energy savings mode, my Performa 5200.

It did work fine when the machine was running under LPPC2kQ4 [I guess it
was Xpmac as X server], now it only dimms the screen, but the monitor
somehow does not shut off [the screen comes up immediately upon moving the
mouse ...]. Sometimes the screensaver never goes off, even with checked
"Use power management" in the GNOME screensaver settings.

Is it a kernel issue, that has to be specified when compiling, or is it
some additional configs in XF86config-4?

System:
Performa 5200/75/CD
YDL2.0 Home/Office install running GNOME as desktop

kernel:
vmlinux-20010619.gz [2.4.6] from http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net

bootloader:
miboot [this is a Linux only machine]

Any help appreciated [I wuould like to run the machine 24/7, but would hate
to see it's built-in monitor die].

Greetings,

Alexander Holst
SysAdmin MacLabor Visuelle Kommunikation
Pforzheim University of Applied Sciences
Germany
ph.: +49 [0]7231 28-6837
fx.: +49 [0]7231 28-6040
<holst@fh-pforzheim.de>