Error installing on 6500/Sonnet L2

Subject: Error installing on 6500/Sonnet L2
From: nat (nafunk@siscom.net)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 08:35:27 MDT

Hi there

I'm trying to install YDL 2.0 on my PowerMac 6500 (with Sonnet G3 L2
upgrade). I've seen others on this list with a similar hardware setup
who have successfully installed, so I know it must be possible. My
problem is that during the installation process, I get an error message
at the step where I'm supposed to set the mount points for the
installation. It reads:

errror: Error: Error opening /dev/sda: No such device or address

File "/usr/lib/yi/mount.py", line 258, in configure
      dev=parted.device_get('/dev/'+drivename)

File "/usr/lib/yi/"template.py", line 56, in _call_
      return self.configure(args)

It does this whether I use the text-based installation or the graphical
one. I tried the option to use the Python debugger and it gave me this:

>./mount.py(258)configure()
->dev = parted.device_get('/dev/'+drivename)
(Pdb)

I am installing on a 20 Gig Maxtor IDE hard drive, setup into a Mac os
9.1 partition, and boot, swap, and linux root partitions. The error
message seems to suggest that it is looking for a SCSI drive, right?

Is there something I should type as a kernel argument when I launch
BootX? I realize that the Sonnet card will cause some problems, but I
am launching without the Sonnet extension which enables the card, so it
is using the 603 processor. (When I launch with the Sonnet extension
active, I get a ton of "lost interrupt" messages and a different series
of errors).

If anyone else has encountered this problem, please pass your wisdom
this way!

Thanks!

Natalie

PowerMac 6500/300 with Sonnet L2/G3 400