Re: Differences between Postgresql and mysql

Subject: Re: Differences between Postgresql and mysql
From: Kit Plummer (kp@yak.vme.com)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 09:10:02 MDT

Nathan,

A quick search on the Inet will reveal some gems of information regarding
the showdown between the two databases.

My suggestion is that if you have any intention what so ever of putting
your database on the Inet then MySQL is your choice. The speed of MySQL is
a high requisite for any web-based transaction.

PostgreSQL is designed with high record quantity databases in mind. It's
features are geared more for Enterprise usage and complex query transactions.

So, to summarize from a macro view:

MySQL - small, quick, and easy maintenance / learning curve

PostgreSQL - large, not as quick, but not slow, more difficult to learn and
interface

Hope this helps somewhat...

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705.php3?page=1
http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/2001/09/jepson/

Kit

At 10:29 AM 10/9/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Hey all,
>
>I need to create a database for some of the work that I am doing, and I have
>noticed that Postgresql and mysql seem to be popular on this list. Can
>anyone give me a run down on the differences between the two, and some
>advantages, disadvantages to either (ie configuration difficulty). The
>database will have to be accessed through window (odbc utility), and maybe
>through the internet.
>

>TIA
>Nathan Z.

Cheers!

Kit Plummer
Systems Integration Plus, Inc. / I.M. Systems, Inc.
17350 N. Hartford Dr. - Scottsdale, AZ 85255
Email: kp@sip.vme.com
WWW: http://sip.vme.com/
Phone: 480-513-8979 x106
Fax: 480-513-3993