Re: Differences between Postgresql and mysql

Subject: Re: Differences between Postgresql and mysql
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 09:55:02 MDT

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Kit Plummer wrote:
>My suggestion is that if you have any intention what so ever of putting
>your database on the Inet then MySQL is your choice. The speed of MySQL
>is a high requisite for any web-based transaction.

 I really can't agree with this. We have chosen PostgreSQL for our
database and we easily get several thousand queries a day (some of our
pages have over 100 queries on them). PostgreSQL is hands down a more
robust and complete database than MySQL. It passes the ACID test, has
support for triggers and its own scripting language (as well as Perl).
Some have stated that PostgreSQL is slower than MySQL, but honestly we
haven't noticed much of a difference. We have been using PostgreSQL since
version 7.0, and I have heard that version 6.5 was a dog performance-wise,
so maybe some of the complaints were from earlier versions.

 So, my advice would be if you need speedy, read-only access but robust or
feature rich is not important, then go with MySQL. Otherwise go with
PostgreSQL, it really isn't hard to learn at all.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada

Tel.: (514) 398-3122 Fax: (514) 398-2017