RE: Differences between PostGreSQL and mysql

Subject: RE: Differences between PostGreSQL and mysql
From: Ruprecht, Chris (cruprech@compucom.com)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 12:18:24 MDT

Nathan,

It depends very much on what you're doing with the database.
Here is an extremely simplified response to your question:
If you want to store a number of static records and seldom update them,
use MySQL.
If you want to write an application where users constantly
change/add/delete records, use PostGres.

To make any better statement, one would need more info about your
database needs. I have to admit that I have never used MySQL, but I have
done some work in PostGreSQL and a lot of work in Progress 4GL/RDBMS
(not available for PPC Linux). I found that PostGreSQL is slightly
faster than Progress (which is a commercial product) running on the same
machine with similar memory/disk requirements.

Best regards,
Chris