Re: Mac nVidia GeForce2 support patches

Subject: Re: Mac nVidia GeForce2 support patches
From: Alban Fellows (Alban.Fellows@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 15:24:28 MDT

Sorry to repeat this.
I accidentally sent the mail before I had finished it.

For Ani and anyone else interested in my test results.

Machine: PowerMac G4 733 DVD-R (Digital Audio series)
          512Mb RAM
          ProNitron 19/800 Monitor (Capable of 1600x1200 at 85Hz)
          MacOS 9.2
               YDL 2.0 with a few extra RPMs
          LinuxPPC Kernel 2.4.11 with the VGA and nVidia patches

Console Tests
default boot video=riva:1024x768-8@60
640x480-8@60 OK
640x480-8@70 59Hz
640x480-8@75 OK
640x480-8@80 59Hz
640x480-8@85 OK
640x480-8@90 59Hz
640x480-8@100 59Hz

640x480-15@60 Corrupt Display
640x480-16@60 Colours incorrect - Text unreadable
640x480-24@60 Colours incorrect - Text unreadable
640x480-32@60 Colours incorrect - Text unreadable

800x600-8@60 OK
800x600-8@70 56Hz
800x600-8@75 56Hz
800x600-8@80 56Hz
800x600-8@85 OK
800x600-8@90 56Hz
800x600-8@100 OK

1024x768-8@60 OK
1024x768-8@70 OK
1024x768-8@75 Monitor out of sync
1024x768-8@80 Monitor out of sync
1024x768-8@85 OK
1024x768-8@90 Monitor out of sync
1024x768-8@100 OK

1280x1024-8@60 Untested
1280x1024-8@70 OK
1280x1024-8@75 Monitor out of sync
1280x1024-8@80 Monitor out of sync
1280x1024-8@85 OK
1280x1024-8@90 Monitor out of sync
1280x1024-8@100 OK

1600x1200-8@60 OK
1600x1200-8@70 OK
1600x1200-8@75 OK
1600x1200-8@80 60Hz
1600x1200-8@85 OK
1600x1200-8@90 60Hz
1600x1200-8@100 60Hz

I suspect the ones which fall back to 60Hz may be due to the default
resolution/refresh

One thing I have noticed about the console is that scrolling is very slow in
comparison to the open firmware frame buffer

XFree86-4.1.0.99-1a
This is unpatched using the FBDev driver
Subject to futher configuration I can run
1600x1200 @ 60Hz
1280x1024 @ 60Hz
640x480 @ 60Hz
in 8, 16, and 24 bit

With a modified monitor setting I can get 1280x1024 @ 85Hz
in 8 16 and 24 bit

Specific mode lines are probably needed to allow other resolutions

32 bit does not work
1 bit is untested

XFree performance is reasonable

MacOnLinux patch level 61
molvconfig tests all modes ok with very few failures (usually the obscure
interlaced modes)
MOL works fine under X
MOL appears to crash the machine when running console video. It draws part of
the background then locks up before ven booting the MacOS
The same version works on the open firmware frame buffer

All in all I am very glad that nVidia has been made to work and the faults
identified so far do not prevent its use.
Keep up the good work

Alban.