no sound ethernet freeze

Subject: no sound ethernet freeze
From: Jon (alexaj@cuaa.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 19:29:03 MDT

I have a powermac 7300 with YDL 2.0. I downloaded and made the kernel
2.4.12 source. Whenever I start linux everything goes fine except sound
doesn't work and there is a much greater problem. My ethernet conection is
configured using dhcp. Whenever it gets to bringing up eth0 the computer
freezes. This only happens with 2.4 kernels. I know that sound has been
broken on beige powermacs for the whole 2.4 series but the ethernet problem
seems fairly new (since 2.4.7 or 8). Any help or suggestions would be
appreciated. Also if anyone could point me to a patch or how to on getting
sound to work that would also be very helpful.
    Thanks
        -Jon